Tuesday, July 1, 2008

All Artificial Ingredients!


Well, this box contained tonight's "dinner". Obviously my expectations were low, about as low as the nutritional content of Michelina's Lean Gourmet fare. I was struck by the little badge placed right on top of the heap of noodles and what-not. "Chef Inspired Recipe". What an intriguing phrase in itself, let alone to be placed on a badge. What can that mean? Was the maker of this meal (Michelina herself?) thinking of a favorite chef as she assembled this culinary mediocrity? Are we to imply that "Chef Inspired" means that an actual food professional was considered, but not necessarily consulted in the design of this dish? "Why yes, I was specifically thinking of Chef Gusteau when I decided that MSG would be the perfect complement to the trans fat in the sauce."

Upon close scrutiny, the tiny round green circle near the bottom of the plate bears an even more cryptic phrase. "Inspected for wholesomeness by the U.S. Department of Agriculture." What does THAT mean? It doesn't even say what the results of the inspection were! I assume it passed, but then again my experience in actually ingesting the Lean Gourmet "Chicken" Alfredo Florentine doesn't particularly shore up that assumption. I'm no dietician (refer to the Allison Knab), but I don't recall the term "wholesomeness" being used in any sort of specific nutritional way. It's a great way to make something sound healthy without getting into any supporting details. I'm disappointed and truly surprised that a governmental agency would produce a vague, uninformative certification. It's so unlike them.

2 comments:

Diana Hulme said...

i love this analysis.
wholesomeness.

Josh and Lar said...

Michelina should be ashamed of herself.