Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Diversity

One of the biggest knocks on me recently has been my apparent lack of diversity. I'm a single white male from a field of study that few (besides me) find interesting. I don't make special efforts to follow the crowd and fit in, but when I look at everyone around me, I can't help but think that what truly makes me unique is my sameness - how much I am just like the next guy. In school, when they have you take the standardized tests, there's always a section where they ask you your ethnicity. I feel so boring and uncreative having to check "White/Caucasian" all the time. First of all, I don't think any of my ancestors came from Caucasia, or wherever. My ancestors are from like, Idaho. Second of all, I don't think "White/Caucasian" is an acceptable term in today's politically correct environment. If anything, I'd like to be known as a Caucasian-American. Thirdly, I don't think race should even be an issue in this election. I'm not a race candidate.

Improved diversity was one of the major reasons why Tyler and I embarked on The Great American Road Trip this summer. We really made some efforts to be cultural as we made our way through Wyoming, South Dakota, The South, etc.

If Waffle House grits don't make a man ethnic, I don't know what can. And this, nation, is where I need your help. Can you think of ways for me to be more diverse?

2 comments:

Jo said...

you can't help what you are jae. and remember what golden kimball said, "the Lord himself must like a joke or he wouldn't have made some of you people."

Josh and Lar said...

Jae! You're blogging again! We're so proud that you have dropped facebook and moved on to bigger and better things. We knew you would arrive. Papooooose!