Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Cali

This weekend, the team decided to take a road trip to Baker, California. Arrangements were made, food was gathered, playlists were assembled, and applicants were screened. We left Friday afternoon and reached the Baker area later that night. As we approached the greater Baker metro area, we suddenly remembered that Baker is the least desirable place on the planet. Change of plans. The committee decided to change course and head to Ontario, Cali to spend some quality time with the Pratts. The Wildcat and the Wilde brothers rolled in at about 1:30 am. After a good night's sleep and a sumptuous breakfast, Saturday morning was spent enjoying traffic (Lisa claims to actually enjoy being stuck in L.A. traffic) and hobnobbing at the J. Paul Getty Center. I was most impressed with a work by James Ensor called Christ's Entry into Brussels in 1889. I loved the way he captured mankind's tendency to focus on the trappings of monumental events rather than the true impact they have. The Getty itself is a great work of art, accentuating the natural hilltop features nicely and implying a Mediterranean ambiance. It would be cool to hang out there even if there were no art on display. If you go there, be sure to check out the rebar trees. I liked them.

Lunch was In-N-Out in Hollywood. The highlight for me was meeting local skate legend Vrazil (both he and the tat on his chest said that was his name) and checking out a few of his moves. Dude's got it. Then we went to the beach next to Santa Monica pier, and just soaked it all in. I've never lived next to a beach, but I'd be down there every day if I lived there. Jesse showed us the beginnings of a promising modeling career, and Shannon from Texas played her first game of football in 20+ years. Brady introduced us to The Claw, and Jen and I had a dramatic cousin moment. Then it was to Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles for dinner. In earlier posts, I have documented my efforts at cultural diversity. Roscoe's tops them all. I don't think I've ever been as much of an ethnic minority as I was at Roscoe's, not even when I was on my mission to Uruguay. Surprisingly, the waffles - fried chicken combo is delicious. I'm pretty sure it was all organic, so don't worry about it. Saturday night ended with some more hanging with the Pratts. Bob keeps a straight face during all his jokes, and Mary never stops smiling. They are such beautiful people! (The Heecups)

Sunday was church, a gorgeous nap outside by the pool, and singing around the piano. Later we went to the impressive L.A. temple. The temple's unabashed prominence imposes a degree of spiritual tranquility on an otherwise secular and misguided locale. I love the temple for what it represents. Sunday in Cali was for me what it always should be: a day of complete physical and spiritual renewal.

Monday began with a delicious breakfast and some difficult goodbyes. The Pratts pumped us full of love the whole time we were there, and it was difficult to leave them. We left feeling fulfilled and rejuvenated. The trip from Ontario to Las Vegas was uneventful with one notable exception. Jolyn demonstrated her talent and versatility by successfully catching and holding 30 red seedless grapes in her mouth. If this is difficult to visualize, I refer you to the YouTube clips on blowfish. Truly a remarkable performance on her part.

Our stop in Sin City was filled with extreme contrasts. The beauty and precision of the Bellagio fountain show contrasted with the moral ugliness of the Strip. Jenna's confidence and self-assurance as she performed on the street contrasted with the insecurity and inner confusion apparent on the faces of most of the people who passed us on the streets. We had to stop at the last In-N-Out before Utah, and I had a 4x4 for the first time (I totally endorse it). I realize looking back that I spent most of the drive down and the drive home singing along to the iPod without ever really knowing the words to the songs. I'd like to use this blog as the outlet for my sincere apology to everyone who rode in the car. We finally rolled back into freezing Provo Monday night at about 11:30, eager to be cold again and get back to that homework.

2 comments:

Josh and Lar said...

i'm loving the blog....and all your excellent adventures. except for the waffles and chicken. questionable.
by the way, right now you're at Denny's with my husband and the family...while I'm at home blogging!? what is happening? and how did you all meet up at denny's without me? honestly.

Jo said...

Favorite line. 'The Getty itself is a great work of art, accentuating the natural hilltop features nicely and implying a Mediterranean ambiance.'

You could probably write an art history book...but you should probably throw in some 'single quotations marks.'