Sunday, June 22, 2008

Immigration

As a rare foray from the monological pretenses of Headlong Into the Blue, I'd like to enlist the help of any of you readers out there. I frequently hear poorly crafted, illogical arguments on the issue of immigration. I see people (i.e., the Minutemen) getting lathered up about the influx of Hispanics and other immigrants into Utah and other states. I hear snarls of "They're stealing our jobs," and "They don't speak our language." I admit that I am biased towards the Latinos, having lived for two years in Uruguay, but I personally don't see what's wrong with having more immigrants in the state. What would the negative consequences be if we just made it less difficult for these folks to enter the United States for work? This seems suspiciously simple to me, but I'm having trouble seeing the opposing point of view. Readers, can you point out any gaps in my reasoning? Why is it so bad to have all these immigrants in the country?

1 comment:

Margaret Tueller said...

Maybe I'm not educated enough to even make a comment, but I believe many people have an issue with the ILLEGAL status of many people, not their immigration into the state or even their race or language. There is a proper way to become a citizen, or even a temporary worker, and many circumvent this process. It has become a very big problem, and I'm not sure the answer to it.